Biocitizen NY Summer 2019 Internship Program
What is Biocitizen?
Biocitizen is the only school in the world devoted to teaching Field Environmental Philosophy (FEP). Biocitizen NY is opening the Brooklyn-based Our Place Summer School designed to bring children into direct contact with the creatures, geologies, hydrologies, and infrastructures of the Canarsee Biome and the Hudson River Estuary. Through active physical and mental engagement with “our place,” students gain a deep & lasting appreciation of it—and themselves. We roam our place investigating our natural and cultural history with all of our senses. Our itineraries are carefully designed to be safe, challenging, and fun. Our staff teaches while walking, guiding students into the world so they may discover it. Each session we attempt to bring students to sites of first human inhabitation and then work forward to the present moment. This happens recursively and nonlinear-ily; we establish motifs and return to and depart from them as our environments and attention spans change.
About the internship…
The Biocitizen NY Summer 2019 Internship is an unpaid opportunity that will leave interns with an understanding of the biocultural history of the NYC “outdoor classroom.” You will work closely with experts, teachers, and students, which will give you the opportunity to learn and teach environmental ethics and philosophy, cultural/social/political history, ecology and geology, and architecture. You will gain leadership experience as you work with students and cross-disciplinary skills as you work with the Biocitizen team to develop marketing materials, social media output, maintain client relations, write blog posts, and more.
The internship will run July 1 – August 2, 2019, and will be part-time from July 1 – July 12 (10 hours a week) and full-time on-site in NYC from July 15 – August 2 (9am-4pm Monday – Friday).
Ideal candidates will be…
- Currently pursuing or enrolled in an Associate’s, Bachelor’s, or Graduate Degree program
- A self-starter with a genuine curiosity for the organization
- Able to commit to the specified schedule
Additional skills we’re looking for…
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills as well as effective problem solving and organizational skills
- Strong passion for and prior knowledge of the subject matter, including conservation, environmental philosophy, NYC and American history, NYC and American politics, natural science, human rights, etc.
- Quick thinking and ability to be flexible
- Ability to walk and be energetic for 35 hours a week for three weeks in a row
- Leadership experience and demonstrated ability to work in a team
- Prior internship experience
- Professional goals that align with Biocitizen’s core values and objectives
Love this job and want to apply?
Send a resume and cover letter detailing your interest and relevant experience to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications due June 19, 2019.
Thank you for your interest in working with Biocitizen. We love it here and think you will too.
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity and will not discriminate against an applicant or employee on the basis of age, sex, sexual orientation, race, color, creed, religion, ethnicity, national origin, alienage or citizenship, disability, marital status, familial status, military or veteran status, or any other legal recognized protected basis under federal, state or local laws, regulations or ordinances.
Source: Biocitizen, Inc. – New York, NY